Are you the one we are looking for?
Do you believe in building strong communities? Do you think kids should have the opportunity to grow up to be all that they can be? Would you like to create possibilities for people in Haldimand and Norfolk living in poverty? If so, then United Way of Haldimand and Norfolk needs you!
We are currently recruiting Board Members with a strong interest in creating positive change in our communities. Board members make a commitment to a two year term. Please note, this is an unpaid volunteer position.
Volunteer Position: Board Member
Job Summary: The Board Member participates in the policy making, planning, goal setting and evaluation activities relating to all aspects of the United Way of Haldimand and Norfolk, while adequately representing the interests of the community at large. The Board member assumes legal and moral accountability for all activities of the United Way and participates on Board Committees as required. This position reports to the United Way Board of Directors.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Supports the values and mission of the United Way.
- Makes a personal commitment to the United Way of time, effort and financial support to the best of their ability.
- Attends all Board of Directors meetings.
- Prepares for Board decision-making meetings by reviewing all relevant materials prior to each board meeting.
- Participates in Board training and orientation programs.
- Maintains a current knowledge of United Way policy in all areas.
- Participates on the Board of Directors in accordance with the by-laws of the United Way.
- Participates in the development of long term and short term United Way goals and objectives.
- Represents the United Way and acts as an ambassador for UW at public events.
- Attends as many of the United Way’s special events as possible.
- Ensures that community interests are adequately represented and/or considered prior to decisions being made by the Board of Directors.
- Actively promotes the United Way objectives on a year round basis.
Conflict of Interest: Board Members must take great care to avoid potential conflict of interest situations. Where it exists, the director is advised to declare such conflict and to avoid participating in any discussion or voting on the issue.
- Demonstrated interest in the United Way goals and objectives.
- Genuine concern for people and the wellbeing of the community.
- Specific experience, knowledge and/or interest in at least one of the following areas:
- General Administration.
- Resource Development.
- Community Problem Solving.
- Organized Labour Unions.
- Public Relations/Communications or Agency Relations.
- Works or lives in Haldimand County or Norfolk County.
- Willingness and availability to participate on the Board of Directors and various committees.
Applicants are welcomed from all age groups. We are particularly interested in individuals with the following skills: accounting, public relations, marketing, revenue generation, and community development. Previous non-profit work or governance experience is an asset.
If you want to make a difference by joining United Way as our newest Board Member, please submit your resume and cover letter to the organization’s Executive Director at: [email protected] by March 16, 2018.